Time is a key aspect of the virtual world, and it is also a concern in models that represent the world. Time Aware Modeling is a powerful and expressive technique for defining and visualizing how model changes over time. The technique works by allowing a modeler to clone a package, diagram or element in a model also maintaining traceability to both earlier and later versions of model elements.
- Easier to Analyse “As-Is” and “To-Be” model versions.
- Make updates to later versions without changing the ‘As-Is’ diagrams.
- Gain more control over how your entire model developed and that can be tracked.
- Create traceability diagrams that show each phase of the evolution of the elements.
Figure 1: Clone Structure as New Version
New Improvements in Sparx Enterprise Architect v16.1
- Exposed Interface element types are copied with cloned diagrams.
- Fixed error when cloning an element with embedded elements on a diagram enabled with ‘Collapse Embedded Elements’ option
- Traces created using abstraction connectors between cloned elements are showcased as a unique meaning in the traceability window.
- Annotation Elements are now cloneable artifacts.
- Support for Time Aware Modeling Version Structure branching has been included, along with support for Connectors to Connectors.
The basis of time-aware modeling is to clone a Package structure (Packages and diagrams only) as a new version, and then to replace specific portions of the old version with new elements and relationships using either the “Clone as New Version” capability or merely adding new material to the model as needed.
Figure 2:Traceability Window
Please contact us or write an email to email@example.com to have a live demo about the new EA 16 features and capabilities.